Thursday, August 29, 2013

One step forward, two steps back ...

I know I ended up on a ‘happy’ note but that was really short lived. Let me tell you about it.  I’ll start where I found Dr Sam, an Otolaryngologist who practises locally.

He is a lovely bloke, very open minded and caring.  I was under the impression he wanted to ensure a proper diagnosis.  He had a look at the OPG X-ray, examined my throat and ears and asked me which side, according to me, was the worst.  He briefly explained how the surgery is performed and what the down time would be. Because I also have had cervical spine surgery in 2003 he said that he would want to broaden the investigation.   He sent me for a contrast CT scan.

I got to get the results before my next appointment. I was quite upset by what I saw.  Apart from small changes in my spine and small nodules/cysts on my thyroid gland (which are quite normal in people of my age) there was no abnormal calcification of stylo hyoid ligaments.  Now remember I was initially diagnosed by the humble OPG X-Ray: “Ossified styloid hyoid ligaments are noted bilaterally (Eagle Syndrome)”  I noted the different spelling too.

I just couldn’t figure out why this was the case.  How could one radiologist report calcified stylo hyoid ligaments and the other clearly stated there aren’t any? Eagle Syndrome fits with all my symptoms.  It just sent me on an emotional roller coaster. All of a sudden I could not bear the physical pain I was in I had one pity party after another. The crying helped. Seriously, it did. I got rid of a lot of frustration.

I received a call from Dr Sam’s rooms confirming what I already know. I just broke down, took the rest of the day off work and drove straight to his rooms.  Thinking he was there of course.  He wasn’t – he was in theatre. The receptionist had empathy with me and made me another appointment closer to the one I already had.

To make a long story short long Dr Sam said that he wanted me to see Dr Neil an Orthopaedic Surgeon as there are some changes in my cervical spine.  Yes I agree, but in my humble opinion, they are insignificant. I recon for my age also bearing in mind the surgery I had; it was still in pretty good shape.  Dr Sam said that it might be a while before I get to see Dr Neil and will therefore take my CT scan to a Dr Sandy, for a second review.   He will see me for a review when we have both reports – those from Dr Neil as well.

Little did he know what a lucky Girl I am.  I got to see Dr Neil the very next week.  As expected he sent me for an MRI and Bone Scan.  Well, I have had the results and as expected in my opinion they are pretty insignificant.  I see both doctors on the same day – Dr Sam at 9am and Dr Neil at 3pm on Wednesday September 4th

Well, now that I have updated my blog I feel a little lighter!  I know there are some time delays in between but for good reason.  I have been down and out with a terrible flu which ended up in bronchitis.  I am much better thank you. I also managed to wean myself off all pain meds.  I just feel my body will benefit from it. Thankfully my pain threshold is pretty high.  I try to focus on what I should be grateful for and keep busy with the little things I love to do.  During one of my ‘bad’ days I stumbled across this beautiful story.  I was deeply touched and my ‘misery’ suddenly seemed to disappear… Make sure you watch the follow up as well.


No comments:

Post a Comment